News Archive

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

News releases are automatically archived after 90 days. The website archive includes news releases from 2014 through the present. Older news releases can be found here.

Leesburg Honors 70th Anniversary of the Marshall Plan with Flag Display

Free concert by U.S. Army Band’s Brass Quintet at The Marshall House on June 5, 2017, at 6:00 p.m.

Post Date:05/26/2017 1:23 PM

European flags on East Market Street

European flags on West Market Street

Leesburg, VA (May 26, 2017) – Why are flags of European nations flying in downtown Leesburg? June 5, 2017, is the 70th anniversary of George C. Marshall’s unveiling of the United States initiative to help European countries rebuild their economies after World War II.

This plan became known as the Marshall Plan and provided $13 billion (that’s $130 billion in today’s dollars) in aid to 18 Western European countries and territories over four years, from 1948 to 1952. The flags representing each of the nations have been provided by the George C. Marshall International Center, to be flown in downtown Leesburg for the month of June.

George C. Marshall, who was Secretary of State from January 1947 to January 1949, received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his post-World War II work, including development of the Marshall Plan.

George C. Marshall’s home from 1941 until his death in 1959 is located in downtown Leesburg and has been restored to the period when Marshall and his wife Katherine lived there. Marshall was at home in Leesburg when he received notification that he had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

As part of the George C. Marshall Center’s commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Marshall Plan, a free community concert by the U.S. Army Band’s Brass Quintet will be held on the grounds of The Marshall House (217 Edwards Ferry Road NE) on Monday, June 5, 2017, at 6:00 p.m. Members of the public are invited to attend. Free parking will be available at the County Government Center parking garage and the Town’s Church Street parking lot.

The Marshall House is open for public tours on Saturdays and Sundays, March through December. For more information, visit www.georgecmarshall.org.  

Media Contact:
Betsy Arnett
Public Information Officer
barnett@leesburgva.gov 
703-771-2734


Return to full list >>