- About Business Licenses
- Tax Rates & Fees
- Apply for a New Business License
- Economic Development & Other Resources
Most businesses operating in the Town of Leesburg are required to have a business license. When receiving a new license, the business pays the license tax for that year, based on an estimate of the gross receipts the business expects to receive through the end of the year. When renewing the business license for the first time, the business will reconcile the gross receipts estimated on the initial license application with actual gross receipts for the previous year. For all subsequent business license renewals, the business will pay the license tax due based on the previous year's gross receipts.
- Business licenses are valid for one calendar year (Jan 1- Dec 31).
- Annual renewals are due by May 1st each year. Businesses will receive renewal notices in the mail from the Town approximately 30 days prior to the due date.
- Businesses filing renewals after May 1st are assessed a 10% penalty of tax due.
- Renewals received after June 1st incur interest at a rate of 10% per annum.
- For more information about the various payment options available for business licenses, please visit our Payment Options page.
Most business license taxes, referred to as Business, Professional & Occupational License (BPOL) tax, are based on the business’ gross receipts. There are a few business categories that are subject to a flat tax rate.
|Gross Receipt Tax Rates (% of gross receipts):|
|Builders and Developers||0.10%|
|Business Service Occupations||0.20%|
|Contractors (Requires a copy of VA State Contractor License)||0.10%|
|Hotels/Motels, Motor Lodges and Rooming Houses||0.23%|
|Massage Therapy Locations||0.20%|
|Merchants Placing Vending Machines||0.10%|
|Personal Service Occupations/Businesses||0.20%|
|Public Utilities (Except Cable TV)||0.50%|
|Repair Service Occupations||0.15%|
|Flat Tax Rates (annual fee):|
|Building/Savings and Loan Associations||$50.00|
|Massage Therapy Permits||$25.00|
|Alcoholic Beverages - ABC|
|Retail "on" premises wine & beer license||$37.50|
|Retail "off" premises wine & beer license||$37.50|
|Retail "on" premises beer license||$25.00|
|Retail "on" and "off" premises wine and beer license||$75.00|
|Private non-profit club operating restaurant||$350.00|
|Mixed Beverage Licenses (Restaurants):|
|50 - 100 seats||$200.00|
|101 - 150 seats||$350.00|
|Over 150 seats||$500.00|
|Coin-Operated Amusement Machines:|
|1 - 5 machines||$100.00|
|6 - 9 machines||$150.00|
The Leesburg Economic Development Department publishes an annual Doing Business Guide. They offer site selection assistance, demographic information, market analysis, grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremonies.
To obtain Business License account and tax information or for questions, send a detailed e-mail to email@example.com. Email responses will be sent within 48 hours of the inquiry.